This event has been postponed. We will email PE Cos with a new date/s once confirmed.
Open to all primary schools in the Borough, however, due to there being a limited number of places available please book early.
Spectators will not be permitted entry to school facilities and should be informed of this when letters are sent to parents.
Our Duty of Care
MSSP have a duty to take all measures that are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the health, safety, wellbeing and welfare of all participants and any other attendees involved in the relevant event. MSSP have tried to ensure that all reasonable steps have been taken in its duty of care being discharged, and to the requisite standard of care, MSSP have ensured the following guidance and actions have been adhered to and carried out:
- That the advice of the UK Government and public health authorities has been followed
- That the bespoke guidance and protocols issued by the relevant NGB, federation and/or umbrella organisation (if applicable) have been followed
- That a full and proper COVID-19 specific risk assessment has been carried out.
Please ensure you read our COVID-19 specific risk assessment before entering this event. This can be found here.
MSSP are putting additional measures in place regarding COVID-19 however it is impossible to fully remove all risk. By entering this event you have carefully considered your options and made sure you are completely comfortable with the risks associated with COVID-19 and undertaken your own organisations risk assessment for participating in this event. It is in the interests of all event competitors to fully understand the measures that have been put in place to make everyone who takes part as safe as possible and it is entirely your decision to take part. Please ensure you are fully conversant with the rules of the event and pay particular attention to the following;
- All participants and attendees (including players, officials, organisers and volunteers) are aware of COVID-19 symptoms and the need to self-assess before attending every sporting activity.
- Any participant or other attendee reporting symptoms does not attend and is directed to follow NHS and PHE guidance on self-isolation.
- Participants or any other attendee are aware of any increased risk associated with taking part in sporting activity, based on the national governing body’s guidance and risk assessment, and have appropriate consent to take part in the activity.
- Participants or any other attendee are strongly advised to comply with public health restrictions and avoid high-risk behaviour outside the sports setting to reduce the risk to their fellow participants when they do attend.
- Participants and any other attendee continue to adhere to legal gathering limits before and after sporting activities, act responsibly and limit transmission risk wherever possible.
- Participants are aware that they are choosing to take part in the modified version of the game, including any relevant COVID-19 measures, and should comply with these measures as a condition of participation.
- Spectators will not be permitted entry to facilities and should be informed of this when letters are sent to parents.
Team Requirements & Eligibility
- Age: Year 5 & 6.
- Mixed gender event.
- Squad size: Maximum of 6, minimum of 3 in a squad (at lesst 1 boy and 1 girl)
- Match duration will be dependent on entries and determined at the time of the draw.
- Points awarded are: 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss.
- Group placing determined by: points accrued, scores difference, baskets for, head to head result between the two teams.
- For supporting basketball in your school please visit https://www.basketballengland.co.uk/get-involved/education/primary-schools/
- Round robin groups. All teams will progress to a second stage of knockout competition according to their placement in the first round.
- All teams will proceed to a quarter-final, a semi-final and a final to determine the Final Standings. Final pool standings will be determined from results. Winners of the pools will take top seed of their pool, 2nd take 2nd seed of their pool, etc.
- Team Medals: GOLD and Trophy: winners. SILVER: runners-up. BRONZE:3rd place.
- Certificates will be presented to all participants.
Kit & Equipment
- Match ball: Molten, size 5
- Please provide own warm up basketball.
- Players of the same team should wear the same colour tops/bibs. No jewellery, baseball caps etc. It is advised that if eyewear is essential, it should be made from plastic rather than glass.
Format & Rules
- 3 players on court at all times. Minimum 1 male + 1 female.
- Coaches are permitted rolling substitutions and this should be as quickly as possible.
- Games will be played on half a court into one hoop.
- Ball must be dribbled when moving. Player cannot walk or run with the ball.
- Ball can only be dribbled with one hand.
- The ball can be stolen/snatched from the offensive team but any contact will be penalised with a foul.
- Persistent contact fouls will result in the player being removed from play with no substitute.
- There are no jump balls.
- Declaring a winner: the first team to reach 15 points with at least a two-point margin (e.g.15-13 or 19-17) will win the game. However, if the clock expires and there is no two-point margin then the leading team at that time shall be the winner.
- The ball will change possession after a successful basket.
- The ball MUST be checked by an offensive and defensive player after a basket is scored.
- Whenever a ball is brought back into play, this shall be done from the top of the key.
- There is no defence whilst the ball is being taken back to the top of the key.
- Should a change in possession occur during play (steal, pass interception, gaining a defensive rebound, etc) then the ball must be ‘taken back’ to the top of the key in front of the basket and continue to play.
- Should a team score a basket after failing to ‘take the ball back’ then the basket will not count & possession of the ball shall go over to the opposition, who will “take the ball back”.
- On all fouls (except a shooting foul) the team not committing the foul will be rewarded the ball from the top of the key.
- Unsportsmanlike fouls shall be penalised by one free throw plus possession of the ball whether or not the free throw is scored.
- Shooting fouls shall be penalised as follows:
1) If the basket is made, one additional free throw is awarded to the shooter. Worth 1 point.
2) In ALL instances, the ball is retained by the shooting/attacking team who will check the ball at the top of the key
- There is no line up for any free throws.
- All baskets scored are worth 2 points. Foul shots will be one shot for 2 points on a missed basket. One additional basket worth 1 point on a scored basket.
- Results and event report will be available on the news webpage within 24 hours of the event ending.
- The winner will represent Merton at the London Youth Game.
Safeguarding and DBS
MSSP acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and the requirements of the Partnership’s host organisation, the Harris Federation.
We recognise that the welfare and interests of children are paramount in all circumstances. We aim to ensure that regardless of age, ability or disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, all children and young leaders:
• have a positive and enjoyable experience of sport or physical activity at MSSP events in a safe and child centred environment
• are protected from abuse whilst participating or officiating at MSSP events
All MSSP staff at the event are fully vetted and enhanced DBS checked. It is the schools’ responsibility to ensure any staff and volunteers who attend the event comply with the host venue safeguarding and welfare policy and can provide documentation to support this on request.
Spectators will not be permitted entry to school facilities and should be informed of this when letters are sent to parents. In order to safeguard children at our events, we will only allow entry to parents if they have been DBS checked and vetted through safer recruitment procedures and authorised to attend by your school. The school will maintain responsible for them at all times. At public sites such as parks we will section off an area for the public where parents that are not with the school party may spectate from.
For more information regarding MSSP’s safeguarding, please click here
If you have any concerns about a child at our event please make sure you say something. The MSSP safeguarding team contact details will be on display at all events or for more information on who to speak to please click here
Please see attached risk assessment for event specific planning and considerations.
MSSP values the contributions by all those involved in making our events a FUN, safe and enjoyable environment for children to take part in sport. To ensure our events continue to be successful we promote our REFSPECT campaign. We expect everyone attending our events to maintain respect for the rules, officials, opponents, teammates and themselves. Only designated staff and volunteers will be allowed on the side-lines. All spectators are to remain behind the barriers, providing positive support and encouraging a fun and fair event.
For more information about REFSPECT and codes of conduct for attendance at our events, please click here.
Photographs will be taken at this event by staff members from MSSP and may be used for promotional material. If you have any children that do not have permission to be photographed, please inform a member of staff before the start of the event.
For information and updates from our events, please follow and use the platforms below.
Email: [email protected]
MSSP will have a basic first aid kit and qualified person at all events but will not be available to tend to less urgent first aid, as they will be delivering the event. As part of the school’s risk assessment a qualified first aider should be with the school team at all times (including travel) to tend to their children during the event.
Comments, Compliments and Complaints
MSSP aims to deliver a first class service to all of its stakeholders. We see all feedback, whether good or bad, as a valuable way for us to learn and improve. Therefore, we welcome all comments, compliments and complaints. For further details, please click here